Why does Privacy Matter?
UK Power Networks is required by Data Protection Act 1998 (“the Act”) to process your data in accordance with its provisions.
Who is the Data Controller for UK Power Networks?
For the purpose of the Act, the data controller is the company to which you disclose your personal data. In relation to the distribution of electricity through the public network belonging to, respectively Eastern Power Networks plc, (East of England), London Power Networks plc (London) and South Eastern Power Networks plc (South East) and the other companies numbered 1 to 7 below, the data controller is UK Power Networks (Operations) Limited.
In relation to UK Power Networks Services, for our unregulated contracting business comprising companies 8 to 12 below, the data controller is UK Power Networks Services (Contracting) Limited or UK Power Networks Services (Commercial) Limited.
|No.||Company Number||Company Name||Registration number|
||London Power Networks plc.
||Eastern Power Networks plc.
||South Eastern Power Networks plc.
||UK Power Networks (Operations) Limited
||UK Power Networks (Transport) Limited
||UK Power Networks (IDNO) Limited
||UK Power Networks (South East Services) Limited
||Lea Valley Utilities Limited
||UK Power Networks Services (Contracting) Limited
||UK Power Networks Services (Enterprises) Limited
||UK Power Networks Services (Commercial) Limited
||UK Power Networks Services (South East) plc.
What personal data will UK Power Networks process?
- your name and address, telephone number(s) and e-mail address(es
- contact with you whether by letter, telephone or e-mail,
- data such as National Insurance number, date of birth, other personal or sensitive personal data that you disclose,
- information obtained from surveys and profiling,
- online forms on www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk (“our site”). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website,
- details of your visits to our website and the resources that you access,
- information relating to the provision of and continuation of a connection between your premises and the electricity distribution system belonging to, respectively Eastern Power Networks plc, London Power Networks plc and South Eastern Power Networks plc or disconnection from the relevant network.
UK Power Networks processes your personal data that it holds to:
- help it distribute electricity to you,
- respond to interruptions in the supply of electricity to the premises that you occupy
- answer all general enquiries that you may make or manage your application for a connection of your premises to the electricity distribution system belonging to, respectively Eastern Power Networks plc, London Power Networks plc. and South Eastern Power Networks plc and once made, the continuation of that connection.
- answer all general enquiries that you may make or manage your application for a disconnection of your premises from the electricity distribution systems belonging to, as the case may be, Eastern Power Networks plc, London Power Networks plc. and South Eastern Power Networks plc.
- manage any complaint that you may make,
- send e-mails, voice and text messages, for example to provide you with an update on the time at which it is estimated that supply of electricity to your premises will be restored following an interruption in that supply. Typically such an interruption is caused by a fault in the electricity distribution system in the locality of the affected premises or by bad weather,
- advise you in advance of planned interruptions to the supply,
- monitor our work and maintain records,
- for the prevention and detection of fraud,
- enable compliance with statutory obligations
- manage an application for an enhanced capacity of supply
UK Power Networks will not process your personal data to:
- conduct market research unless required by Ofgem where we have your permission or we are permitted to do so by law,
- pass to a third party for its or others’ purposes,
- sell to a third party.
UK Power Networks may store your personal data in an electronic or paper format.
Please note that the data that we process may be processed outside the European Economic Area ("EEA").
What are your rights?
The Act gives you the right to be told whether personal data of which you are the data subject is being processed by UK Power Networks. If that is the case you are entitled to a description of the personal data of which you are the subject, the purpose for which the data is processed and the recipients or classes of recipient to whom the data may be disclosed. You are entitled to have communicated to you the information constituting personal data of which you are the data subject and any information available to UK Power Networks as to the source of the data.
To receive such information you may make a subject access which must be accompanied by a cheque for £10 made payable to UK Power Networks (Operations) Limited. Your subject access request, accompanied by your cheque must be sent to The Data Protection Officer, c/o Legal Department, UK Power Networks (Operations) Limited, Energy House, Carrier Business Park, Hazelwick Avenue, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 1EX. You can also email us here.
If your data is found to contain any errors, once written notification is received, we undertake to correct them at the earliest opportunity.
For information on our cookies policy please click here.