An earthing connection is needed in a property as a safety feature. We can provide advice about earthing in your property.

Typically customers need this when:

  • An electrician has raised an issue  or advises you have no earthing

  • An electrician has raised an issue from an Earth Loop Impedance test

  • Electrician or the company you pay your bills to has recommended a PME at your property

Electrical equipment without PME

Image of an electrical earthing wire

Electrical equipment with PME installed 

If your electrician has advised that you have a high earth reading (also known as a high earth loop impedance) at your property, or if you think your situation is dangerous, please stay away from the equipment and call us 24 hours a day on 0800 31 63 105 or 105 (free to call from a landline or mobile).

Did you know:


Different companies own the electrical equipment in your home
We own your electrical fuse (sometimes called electricity supply, service head, cut out) and the cables coming into your home so we are trained and can work on this equipment. The company you pay your electricity bills to own your electricity meter, then you own the fuse box (sometimes called trip switches) inside your property. 
An earthing connection is needed in a property as a safety feature

Two key points to explain earthing in your property:  

• External earthing: When a new house is built we install a new power cable which is connected to the wider electricity network. We make sure we provide an earthing terminal so a customer’s electrician can connect to this terminal to safely earth the property. There are two types that we will provide. TNS-(Separate earth wire) where an earth is provided off the lead sheath of our electricity cable, or PME (Protective Multiple Earthing) using our neutral cable as a combined neutral earth. 

• Internal earthing: An electrician takes the external earth that we have provided and safely earths the inside of a property. The property owner is responsible for ensuring they have internal earthing to protect their home and appliances inside their homes.

We can visit you to offer advice about earthing

It's common for customers living in older properties to contact us about their earthing. We can visit at no cost, to give customers and electricians advice about safely earthing their property. It's worth noting that safety standards have changed over the years and the connection to the external earth was not always required. In older properties it's quite common to find no external earth installed. This does not necessarily make them unsafe, many properties have had no earth for over 50 years and never had an issue. 

If there is an issue with your external earth we can visit you to let you know if there is PME earthing available in your area. PME can be installed across most areas. However for some areas the electricity cables will not be compatible for this type of earthing. If this is available then we will provide an earthing connection for your electrician to connect your internal earth to. We may need to visit you a second time to carry out this work. However if there is no PME available then your electrician can arrange an alternate earthing system for you.

How long will this take?

We need 10 working days from when we have processed your request to get someone to visit you.

Request a free visit online now
We'll visit you
We'll complete the PME check for you
Final earthing connection will need to be carried out

Common questions 

Request now

Complete our quick online form and we will aim to contact you back within three working days.

Log in or register

Do you request this type of work regularly? If so, register or log in to request this work now.

Contact us

Call us 

Free to call from a mobile or landline phones. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm.